Salcombe Ghost Story Tours.
This Christmas treat yourself to a Christmas ghost story, or five. Telling ghost stories has been traditional for centuries. Jerome K Jerome put it nicely when he wrote in his 1891 collection Told After Supper "Nothing satisfies us on Christmas Eve but to hear each other tell authentic anecdotes about spectres. It is a genial, festive season, and we love to muse upon graves and dead bodies, and murders, and blood." Certainly Charles Dickens, Shakespeare and Christopher Marlow would agree, they are all supporters of "A sad tale is best for winter."
Unfortunately the practise of Christmas ghost stories started to dilute towards the end of the 19th century due to the increasing nature of celebrating Halloween or Samhain at the end of October, initially popular in the U.S and now increasingly in the U.K. However Christmas tales and stories can still be found, the BBC's The Signalman in 1976 has been repeated often as late as 2017, still causing unease as the Dickens original did. And what would Christmas be without A Christmas Carol in all its forms.
So with this in mind I started to look into the ghosts of my home town of Salcombe. I have been telling stories for eight years all over the UK and beyond. Mostly for children and families, but it has often been asked if I ever do any purely for adults.This seemed like the ideal opportunity,so I researched local history and asked residents about the tales they knew. I have ended up with five original tales that will tingle the neck hairs, catch the breath and cause one to pause. I will guide you around a short walk of Salcombe stopping in various locations to recount the tales that intrigued me and fired my imagination. The final location will be a time for the most gruesome of tales and a warming libation to finish our festive session of horror, loss and revenge.
If you would like to join me please read the terms and conditions below, spaces are limited and this will be the first time these stories have ever been shared in public altogether, a unique and exclusive event that may never be repeated.
Thank you for your time, as we head towards an uncertain future what better way to celebrate the end of a year and the beginnings of a new with the messages and lessons of the past from the dead themselves.
FOR BOOKING AND PAYMENT PLEASE CONTACT
Terms and conditions
1. Mark Fraser Hill is to be known as 'the organisers' for the purpose of theses terms and conditions.
This is an 18+ event. The stories are not suitable for children. The final destination for the tour is a public house where an alcoholic drink will be offered as part of the ticket price. Please do not bring children of any age along as you will not be able to accompany the tour should you do so no refund will be available..
2. The ticket price is £15 per person, there is a maximum of twenty spaces available for the tour. No refunds will be issued in light of cancellation within 48 hours of the booked tour. A cancellation fee of £2 will apply to all other refunded payments. Payment will be made either directly to Mark Fraser by cash or through paypal. Please contact to firstname.lastname@example.org for further payment details and instructions. All payment must be made on booking or a minimum 48 hours befor the tour.
3. Please email email@example.com for times and meeting instructions.
4. The organisers will do everything possible to ensure that attendees will be safe and secure during the tour, however as this will be taking place in public areas the organisers will take no responsibilities for accidents or injury incurred. There will be a distance covered during the tour, whilst it will not be a great distance attendees are expected to be able to keep with the group. The organisers have designed the route to include no steps or stairs, should any attendees wish to enter the public house at the end of the tour a ramp for the front entrance is available to negotiate two steps.
5. There is no sign language provision for this tour which the organisers regret, this is something that may be available in the future should this event be repeated.
6. Legalese. The copyright and other intellectual property rights for all material on this Website and the tour belong to the site owner unless otherwise stated. You are permitted to use this website to view, read, print and download the material made available for such purposes, provided that you do not modify, reproduce or republish any content in any form without consent.
7.Each client will act in a responsible manner and respect the needs of others. You will not cause harm or injury to anyone else or put yourself or anyone else in danger. You will respect the nature of the event and behave accordingly. When leaving the event you will ensure that due to the lateness of the hour you will respect the needs of nearby residents.
8.Absolutely no alcohol or drugs are permitted on any event with exception to those offerd by the organisers.If anyone appears to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs and/or is suspected of bringing either alcohol or drugs to the event they will be asked to leave immediately and will not be refunded for any part of monies paid for the event. The organisers will use their own discretion and have the ultimate decision to evict anyone from the tour whom they consider to be behaving in an inappropriate manner due to alcohol or drugs.
9. The organisers will not be liable for any damage or loss to property and personal equipment either on the journey to the event, during the event and on the journey back home from the event. This includes any damage that may be caused by any spiritual or poltergeist activity during the event.
10.By accepting and agreeing with these terms and conditions you are further indemnifying the promoters/organisers/individuals from and against all legal liability in respect of any claims, damages, costs, penalties, actions, demands, proceedings, any kind of legal suits, losses or expenses amounted in respect of or arising out of the injury to or the death of any person, or persons, or damage to any property arising from the clients participation and involvement in the event or activity or premises pertaining to the event.
11.The organisers accepts no responsibility for any clothing, equipment, damage to vehicles, parking fines, clamping of vehicles. All property and effects belonging to you are your responsibility and we would urge you to protect your property and keep all said articles safe whilst attending the event.
12.When any part of an event is in the open air it is obviously going to be affected by the weather conditions. Although in very rare circumstances would this have an effect on the event, if it does the organisers reserves the right to move the event into covered conditions. However, this is very rare and it is the responsibility of the client to ensure that they are wearing appropriate clothing and are protected against the weather. In the event of severe adverse weather conditions organiserss reserve the right to cancel an event. As much notice as possible will be given to guests prior to travelling to the event. However, if the weather is such that the stoyteller is unable to reach the event then the organisers will deem the event to be inaccessible and therefore cancelled. This may happen as late as guests travelling en route to the event. The organisers, will, however, endeavour to ensure that this is the last option taken and will always work towards the event going ahead as planned.
13.Any information that we may receive from you or that is requested by us in relation to names, addresses, email addresses or contact telephone numbers is sensitive and will not be used for any purposes other than for contact for this event and in the database for the organisers for this event only as per data protection laws.
14. These terms and conditions are non-negotiable and your booking of an event demonstrates their acceptance by you, the client. These conditions and any contract into which they are incorporated shall be subject to English Law and the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of England..
15. The use of cameras, filming and recording equipment is permitted on our events subject to limitations. Any footage caught is deemed to be for personal use only and not for public view and ownership of this footage either audio or visual belongs solely with the organisers. Before commencing video or audio capture you must advise anybody being recorded so that they are aware and have the choice not to be included. It is also imperative that you seek consent from the he organisers by email before releasing any audio or visual footage into the public domain and this includes Facebook and personal websites. This is to ensure that our guests, events and our locations are not compromised in any way. Failure to comply with this could lead to legal action being taken. You may be asked to sign a document during your event and some locations do have limitations for filming in order to ensure the enjoyment of all guests.
16. CANCELLATIONS BY US
We can cancel an event at any time for any reason at our own discretion. If we have to cancel, we will tell you as soon as reasonably possible. In these circumstances we will give you a full refund of any money paid to us or move your booking to another event of your choice (within reason) but we will have no other liability whatsoever to you. This includes refunds on any hotel bookings or refunds on any travel arrangements or other costs incurred relating to the cancelled event.
17. BEHAVIOUR POLICY
We want all of our guests to enjoy our events and to feel safe, one disruptive guest can have an adverse effect on any event. We therefore insist that you read and agree to the terms set out in this policy.
There is a strict behaviour code on our events which all guests should be made aware of.
No behaviour will be tolerated that has a detrimental impact on the event or the other guests. Any behaviour deemed inappropriate will be dealt with swiftly and the person or people concerned will automatically be removed from the event regardless of any transport difficulties or any adverse weather conditions. Detrimental behavior includes abusive behavior or an attitude that has a detrimental or negative impact on other guests.
We would be grateful if you could contact us as soon as possible to let us know if you are unable to attend an event, even if it is on the day of event so that we are aware that you will not be arriving and can inform our staff.
Salcombe Ghost Story Walks are copyright of Mark Fraser Hill, all stories are intellectual and artistic property of Mark Fraser Hill and are subject to copyright.
Walk the Lines
Mark Fraser Hill. Copyright @ All Rights Reserved.